Obtaining a private security license can open up a new world of job opportunities for you. With a valid security license, you can work in loss prevention, airport security, residential concierge positions, and much more.
Are you considering a career switch? This short guide explores everything you need to know about how to become a licensed security guard in Ontario, Canada.
1. Meet the eligibility requirements
If you’re wondering how to become a licensed security guard in Ontario, it’s important to know that there are some initial eligibility requirements you have to meet. These requirements are set by the Ministry of the Solicitor General.
According to the requirements, applicants must:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Be legally able to work in Canada.
- Have a clean criminal record.
2. Complete a security guard basic training program
Completing a security guard basic training program is one of the first steps in obtaining your license. Security guard courses can be taken online or in person, and they may be offered by universities, community colleges, career colleges, and local training providers.
When selecting a provider for basic training, you should make sure their curriculum meets the standards set by the Ministry of the Solicitor General. For example, training programs must be at least 40 hours long, and they must also include certification in emergency first aid/CPR. Your curriculum should also cover the full scope of security guard topics, such as health and safety, report writing, sensitivity training, and more.
3. Pass the Ontario security guard test
If you’ve been researching how to become a licensed security guard in Ontario, then you probably know that there is a test involved. Completing your basic training will provide you with everything you need to know for the test.
After completing your training, you will be given a certificate and training completion number. Be sure to keep this information handy, because you will need it to register for your test. When you’re ready to register, visit www.ontariosecuritytesting.ca. You can also find testing locations at this website.
Here are some basic facts you should know about the Ontario security guard test:
- It consists of 60 multiple choice questions.
- You will be given 75 minutes to complete the test.
- You must score at least 62% in order to pass.
- The fee for taking the test is $75.15.
- You can take the test as many times as you need, but you have to pay the fee every time.
4. Apply for your Ontario security guard license
Once you’ve successfully completed your training and exam, then you can apply for your security guard license. All applications should be submitted through ServiceOntario.
When you apply for a license, you’ll need to submit the following:
- Your testing completion number.
- A passport-quality photo.
- Scanned versions of two valid forms of government identification (one form needs to provide proof that you’re eligible to work in Canada).
- Completed Guarantor Information Form.
- Payment for the required application fee.
Applications are typically processed within 30 days. Once your application is approved, you should receive your license card by mail within 8 weeks.
Start training for a new career in security today
Now that you’ve learned how to become a licensed security guard in Ontario, take the next step by enrolling in a training program. At Cancom Security Training Academy, our security guard courses are designed to set you up for success in a new career. You’ll learn what it takes to be a top security guard from industry veterans.
Register today to enroll in our security guard training program in Ontario.